$10,000 Supports Installation of Village Green Public Wi-Fi
The Village Green was awarded $10,000 toward the installation of public Wi-Fi broadband access in its 13.2 acres of central community park space in Cashiers. The Village Green provides a central indoor arts and culture resource as well as community all-weather gathering space to host job fairs, blood drives, classes, workshops, recitals, readings, performances and more. The Village Green will promote community building and public engagement around important issues including health and wellness, success of children and youth and regional arts and culture.
Summer 2019 - Grants totaling $141,000
- The Bascom - $10,000 for its Cashiers Community Outreach and Education Initiative, including the scholarship program, instructors, and materials.
- Blue Ridge Mountains Health Project - $10,000 to increase access to free preventive dental services and dental health education for low-income residents of the Cashiers area.
- Boys & Girls Club of the Plateau - $10,000 for Academic Success programming, which includes homework help, supplemental academic material, and tutoring.
- Cashiers Valley Preschool - $10,000 to purchase supplies, toys, equipment, and furnishings for a new toddler room and an awning cover for the sidewalk entrance to the room.
- Cashiers-Highlands Humane Society - $10,000 for 7 weeks of Critter Camp, a new summer camp program for rising first through sixth graders.
- Community Care Clinic of Highlands-Cashiers - $10,000 for general operating support.
- Fishes & Loaves Food Pantry - $10,000 for food purchases.
- Friends of Panthertown - $10,000 to support its ongoing forest stewardship and conservation mission, promote volunteer work days, and cover operating expenses necessary to coordinate volunteers.
- Hampton School - $10,000 to provide high-quality child care for children ages twelve months to twelve years in a safe and nurturing learning environment.
- Highlands-Cashiers Land Trust - $6,500 to support the Education Coordinator for its Kids in Nature program, who will oversee all aspects of the program, including scheduling, curriculum planning, and implementation.
- Mountain Projects/Circles of Hope Cashiers - $7,500 for direct service personnel, supplies, educational materials, and incentives for its financial sustainability program.
- Mountain Youth Charities/Junior Appalachian Musicians-Blue Ridge - $7,000 to support its afterschool community music program for children.
- Pisgah Legal Services - $10,000 to expand its provision of free civil legal assistance and advocacy to low-income people who live and work in and around Cashiers.
- Summit Charter School - $10,000 to implement Place-Based Learning initiatives for more than 250 Cashiers-area students.
- The Village Green - $10,000 to install public Wi-Fi broadband access for the 13.2 acres of central community park space in Cashiers.
See all grants since inception. Download Grant History.
Affiliate Advisory Boards provide The Community Foundation with crucial leadership and local expertise as we partner to raise funds for our region.