From CFWNC's founding, a core value has been to support human service nonprofits with the goal of ensuring that everyone has access to resources and services to meet their basic needs.
Unlike the other three focus areas, Human Services offers a competitive program with grants up to $20,000 for programs or projects that promise significant help for economically-disadvantaged people in the region. Grants are funded by the Janirve Legacy Fund, co-investment from CFWNC fundholders, discretionary funds, and private foundations that partner with us. In November 2021, CFWNC awarded $1,298,830 through 68 grants to nonprofits throughout the region.
Grants are intended to:
- Address a timely community need or opportunity not being addressed by other agencies;
- Continue, replicate or expand a proven program or project;
- Increase cooperation and coordination among program providers;
- Build the internal capacity of an organization to be more self-sufficient or efficient;
- Purchase equipment that provides an immediate and substantial benefit.
Capacity grants help a nonprofit effectively achieve their mission through projects designed to improve communications, volunteer recruitment, development, outcomes, collaboration, and technology. Application is by invitation only.