Centro Unido Latino-Americano Awarded $2,500
Centro Unido Latino Americano was awarded $2,500 to meet needs exacerbated by Covid-19. During the pandemic many in the Latinx community in McDowell have faced challenges because of legal status and lack of opportunity to qualifying for government funding or programs such as stimulus checks and unemployment benefits. Grant funds will assist the Latinx community with food, avoiding disconnection of essential services, medications, and rent. Centro Unido works with other agencies to assist the Latinx community by addressing the gap in services. Centro identifies and responds to existing and emerging needs of the McDowell Latinx and surrounding communities and serves as a link connecting people to resources.
Spring 2021 - Grants totaling $23,540
- Babies Need Bottoms - $2,500 to provide diapers and baby hygiene items to low-income families.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Western North Carolina - $2,000 to recruit and train mentoring volunteers.
- Brackett Town Farms - $2,000 for a walkway to improve access to its facilities.
- Brother Wolf Animal Rescue - $1,000 to subsidize spay and neuter surgeries for low-income families who have pets.
- CareReach - $2,540 to provide dental and medical assistance to low-income people.
- Centro Unido Latino-Americano - $2,500 to provide essential basic services to primarily low-income Latinx people.
- Foothills Health District - $2,500 to purchase a bariatric exam table.
- McDowell County Government/North Carolina Cooperative Extension - $2,500 to provide local farmers with marketing support to improve sales of their produce and products.
- McDowell Local Food Advisory Council (LFAC) - $2,500 to support staff and purchase food.
- Ronald McDonald House of Charlotte - $1,000 to provide residential support to McDowell families whose children are undergoing medical treatment in the Charlotte area.
- YMCA of Western North Carolina - $2,500 to support an academic recovery program.
See all grants since inception. Download Grant History.
Affiliate Advisory Boards provide The Community Foundation with crucial leadership and local expertise as we partner to raise funds for our region.