The Community Foundation of Western North Carolina, founded in 1978, is a public charity with a mission to expand philanthropy in the eighteen counties of Western North Carolina, including the Qualla Boundary. The Foundation manages charitable funds for individuals, corporations and charitable organizations, and makes grants toward the region’s pressing needs and promising opportunities.
The Finance Associate position reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer. Primary responsibilities include maintenance of financial records and files, spreadsheet maintenance, data entry to the general ledger, making bank deposits, creating and mailing gift acknowledgement letters, mailing donor statements, preparation of meeting materials, scheduling meetings, accounts receivable, and other duties as assigned. The Finance Associate has significant contact with Foundation clients, and therefore must have excellent customer service abilities. The successful applicant must be detail-oriented, efficient, organized, and able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously. This is a salaried position with the potential for growth, based on performance.
- Generate and distribute all gift acknowledgement letters.
- Provide oversight for all stock gift transactions.
- Prepare daily bank deposits.
- Organize presentation and meeting materials.
- Schedule meetings with CFWNC Committees and constituents.
- Maintain and update current financial information on CFWNC web site.
- Prepare and distribute meeting minutes.
- Prepare to pay checks bills and other expenses.
- Maintain Accounts Receivable/Payable files
- Input journal entries into computerized accounting system.
- Generate and distribute quarterly fund statements.
- Assist with preparation of annual audit.
- Assist donors with questions involving fund activity.
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Experience & Knowledge
- Experience in basic accounting and bookkeeping procedures.
- Excellent computer skills; working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding all Foundation matters.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Detail-oriented and accurate.
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues, supervisors and volunteers.
- Ability to work and think independently and with good judgement.
- Flexibility and ability to adjust activities and priorities and take on new responsibilities.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Maturity; dependability.
- Professional attitude toward work, commitment to the Foundation’s goals and mission.
- Willingness to accept supervision.
Ability to lift and carry objects of a minimum of 15 pounds in weight, occasionally lifting overhead. Job duties require approximately 85% sitting/typing, and 15% standing/walking. Physical requirements will vary depending upon the specific duties to be accomplished.
Starting salary range for this position is $45,000 - $50,000. Foundation employees participate in a Paid Time Off accrual system initially equivalent to 25 days off per year representing vacation and sick time, plus 7 additional paid holidays. CFWNC offers participation in group health, dental, vision and retirement plans to eligible employees. All CFWNC employees are subject to a criminal background check. CFWNC is an equal-opportunity employer.
This job description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position and that the duties and responsibilities may change without notice.
We encourage applications from people with diverse experience and backgrounds. Employment opportunities at the Foundation are available to all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, creed, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, height, weight, veteran’s status, sexual orientation or marital status.
Interested individuals should send cover letter and resume to Graham Keever, CFO, CFWNC at email@example.com by July 1, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.